Sarah Mason Photography Header

Monday 3 September 2012

A Mini Trip

We managed to have a couple of days away last week.  We didn't venture too far but it just felt good to recharge the batteries.  I love Kirkby Lonsdale on the edge of the Lake District.  It's a beautiful little town.  I associate it very much with Christmas having spent a couple of Christmas Eves there.  For anyone who knows me, I do have a penchant for the festive season!  It was nice to explore it in daylight, albeit a bit rainy and stormy.

There are some great street names.

















And lovely shops selling local produce.

And when it chucked it down and started to thunder, the cafe with the fire was very welcoming!


Ever since watching The Trip, I've been wanting to follow in their footsteps and visit the restaurants to sample all the amazing grub!  Just down the road from Kirkby is Hipping Hall, and it didn't disappoint.  It's a beautiful place, set back from the road.  It has lovely gardens and round every corner you catch glimpses of the history of the place. 


I love that they have their own garden just round the back, growing lots of seasonal produce.  It reminded me of Mr McGregor's garden in Peter Rabbit, especially as it had a couple of brave bunnies racing around it!

Hipping Hall also had some lovely quiet corners to catch up on a spot of reading.

With full bellies, it was time for an explore closer to home.  I can't believe I've never visited the Yorkshire Sculpture Park before now.   It's great to just amble around and stumble upon things.


In the middle of it all is Bretton Hall, where I nearly went to college.  Strange to think about that now, but London was definitely calling!

There is so much to see, certainly too much to try to cram into one afternoon!

Needless to say, I will be going back to YSP.  It was the perfect end to a mini trip.  Looking forward to the next one!



1 comment:

  1. Did Suzi take the one of you? I love it you should use it as your profile image!

    ReplyDelete